What is an adult day center?
Adult day centers are used to relieve the caregiver of his or her duties for the day while ensuring that the cared-for recipient will still receive the proper care in a safe and friendly environment.
Adult daycare focuses on social interaction. Keeping your loved one busy during the daytime hours, so you the caregiver can continue to live your life without any feelings of guilt. Your loved one can benefit from an adult day center for many reasons.
- It allows your loved one to stay within the community while you the caregiver goes to work
- It gives your loved one a break from you the caregiver
- It provides much-needed social interaction
- It creates a structure for their daily activities.
- Assistance with eating, taking medication, toileting, ambulating, etc.
- Educational programs and mental stimulation
- Exercise programs
- Health monitoring
- Podiatry, audiology, and dermatology care
- Preparation of 2 meals and snacks
- Social activity
- Therapy (physical, occupational, speech, etc.)
- Social activities including arts and crafts, cooking, exercising, games, gardening, music, movies, pet therapy, relaxation techniques, etc.
Some may worry that their loved one will resent participating in such a program while others feel guilty at the thought of leaving their loved ones in another person’s care. When it works correctly, an adult day center can improve your loved one’s overall quality of life, and behavior and provide you the caregiver with much-needed time off.