What Is a Senior Enrichment Center?
A senior enrichment center is an accessible and affordable solution for retirees and older adults looking for a way to fill their days while maintaining the freedom to live in the comfort of their own homes.
Not only do senior enrichment centers allow aging adults to connect with peers, they also provide easy access to a variety of activities, programs, and special events designed to help improve seniors’ quality of life.
Many senior centers are community venues with a basic level of programming, amenities and oversight.
Other senior enrichment centers may provide a more advanced level of services, in areas such as:
- Enrichment activities and social engagement
- Medical assistance for seniors who require an extra level of care
- Memory care for those with Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia.
At Town Square Perry Hall, our senior enrichment model blends all of these benefits in an innovative array of programming—built around our immersive 1950s theme—to provide elderly citizens of Baltimore City, Baltimore County, and Harford County with a safe, social, and engaging environment.
What Is a Senior Center?
Studies show that, for seniors who want to remain happy and healthy long into their golden years, it’s important to socialize and stay as active as possible. Many seniors and their families choose to join nursing homes and other senior living centers to maintain these activities as they grow older.
Yet, many aging adults seek a balance where they can lead a fulfilling life while retaining the freedom to live in the comfort of their own homes.
This is where senior day centers come into the picture. These senior centers offer a community where older adults can gather and fulfill their social and emotional needs and be mentally engaged.
Meanwhile, a senior’s caregiver can take time to focus on work, handle other responsibilities, or simply rest and recharge.
Recognized as community focal points by the Older Americans Act (OAA), senior centers are one of the most popular services now available to aging citizens.
What Programs Are Available at Senior Centers?
The programs available at senior enrichment centers will vary, but some of the more common programs offered include:
- Nutritious meal programs, which Town Square provides through our 1950s themed Rosie’s Diner.
- Health, Fitness, and Wellness programs, which our members can enjoy through the light exercise classes hosted at our state-of-the-art Health Club.
- Recreational and social activities, such as the events and performances we host in our facility’s Glenner Park.
- Educational and arts programs, which we provide through our Learning Center, Art Studio, and the Town Square Library.
- Holiday parties and other occasions of celebration.
- Reminiscent music activities, often in conjunction with memory care, where members listen to music from their era and share in conversation.
- Relaxation techniques, such as mediated conversations and storytelling, yoga, reading, or movie watching
And much more. Additionally, senior enrichment centers may provide support in areas such as:
- Personal Assistance, with eating, taking medication, personal care, and/or walking
- Educational programs or mental stimulation
- Health monitoring (e.g., blood pressure, food or liquid intake)
- Preparation of meals and snacks
- Therapies (e.g., occupational, physical, speech)
- Transportation services
At Town Square Perry Hall, we’re proud to offer all of these services and more, in our advanced offering of medical and personal care services.
This is just a sample of our wide range of activities and services. Our members can also enjoy a chat and warm beverage at the Little Blue House, take in a classic movie at Starlite Theater, enjoy a visit to the themed Game Room., and much more.
Other services include transportation, intergenerational programs, health screening, cooking classes, day trips, volunteer opportunities, and public benefits counseling.
Innovative Senior Enrichment and Memory Care
We take the enrichment services available at Town Square one step further by providing a facility and programs designed specifically for older adults struggling with memory loss due to Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia. These social services are available Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm.
Using the principles of reminiscence therapy developed by George G. Glenner Alzheimer’s Family Centers, our facility is modeled after a classic 1950s town with many of the services we offer keeping to this theme. This includes screenings of classic movies, performances of music from the ’50s and ’60s, period magazines and newspapers available to our members, and much more.
Senior Enrichment Programs at Town Square Perry Hall
A senior enrichment center may be a great option for you or your loved one, offering an affordable way to lead a rich and fulfilling life, without having to give up living in your home.
At Town Square Perry Hall, we aim to provide the highest quality of services in senior enrichment, adult day healthcare, and compassionate memory care.
Contact us today to learn more about our programs, book a tour or schedule a free day for yourself or a loved one.